- 12-16 doves, breasts only
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2/3 cup prepared barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano leaves
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 bell peppers, any color, cut into 1-2 inch squares
- 1 large onion, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 24 small red creamer potatoes
- 8 medium mushrooms
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Wooden or metal skewers
1. Combine Worcestershire sauce and next 8 ingredients and stir to blend. Place dove breasts in a non-reactive container and pour 1/2 of the mixture over. Toss to coat doves, cover and refrigerate for 2 – 4 hours.
2. Place potatoes in a microwave-safe bowl with 1/3 cup water. Cover with plastic wrap or paper towel and cook on high for 12 minutes. Place in cold water to cool and then drain thoroughly.
3. Place peppers, onion, potatoes and mushrooms in a bowl and lightly coat with olive oil, salt and pepper. Place alternating pieces of dove, pepper, onion, potato and mushrooms on skewers and grill over medium-high heat until doves are rare to medium-rare, about 4 – 5 minutes total cooking time. Serve with reserved marinade for dipping.