- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup onions, finely diced
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups crushed tortilla chips
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup tomato salsa (your choice of mild, medium or spicy)
- 1 1/2 cups fresh corn kernels
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 pounds ground venison, elk, etc.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 pound chorizo sausage, casing removed, crumbled
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat and add onion, jalapeno pepper and garlic. Sauté until onions are translucent. Allow to cool.
In a large bowl, combine tortilla chips with next 8 ingredients and mix well. Add venison, beef, chorizo and cooled onion mixture. Mix all ingredients thoroughly with your hands.
In a lightly oiled loaf pan or baking dish, form into a loaf about 4 inched tall. Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 50 minutes or until internal temperature is 155 degrees. Lightly cover with foil and allow to rest for 10 minutes before serving.
For a sauce, whisk together sour cream, ketchup and lime juice. To serve, either serve on grilled sourdough bread as pictured OR slice meatloaf and arrange on plates.
Note: Try this recipe with ground waterfowl breasts!