- 2 cups dried macaroni
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 ounces Gruyere cheese, grated
- 3 ounces Parmesan, grated
- 2 ounces mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups smoked salmon, broken into 1-2 inch pieces
- 1 cup coarse bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped basil leaves
Cook pasta in salted boiling water for 6 minutes. Drain well. Heat the milk in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. In another saucepan, melt the butter and whisk in the flour. Cook over low heat for 2 minutes while whisking. While still whisking, add the hot milk and cook for a minute or 2 more, until thickened and smooth. Remove from heat, add the cheeses, salt and pepper. Add the cooked macaroni and stir well. Gently toss with salmon.
Transfer pasta mixture to a greased baking dish or deep baking dish (a cast iron skillet is idea). Combine bread crumbs with basil and sprinkle over the top of the pasta. Place in a 400 degree preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until the top is evenly browned.