Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 35-45 minutes
- 2 cups dried macaroni
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 ounces Gruyere cheese, grated
- 3 ounces Parmesan, grated
- 2 ounces mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups smoked salmon, broken into 1- to 2-inch pieces
- 1 cup coarse bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped basil leaves
1. Cook pasta in salted boiling water for 6 minutes. Drain well.
2. Heat the milk in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. In another saucepan, melt the butter and whisk in the flour. Cook over low heat for 2 minutes while whisking.
3. While still whisking, add the hot milk and cook for a minute or 2 more, until thickened and smooth. Remove from heat, add the cheeses, salt and pepper. Add the cooked macaroni and stir well. Gently toss with salmon.
4. Transfer pasta mixture to a greased baking dish or deep baking dish (a cast-iron skillet is ideal). Combine bread crumbs with basil and sprinkle over the top of the pasta. Place in a 400 degree preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until the top is evenly browned.