- 1 pound linguica sausage, diced (chorizo or wild boar can be substituted)
- 2 pound venison shoulder roast, trimmed of excess fat and gristle and then cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 green bell peppers, seeded and diced
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely diced
- 1 quart canned diced tomato, with juice
- 1 cup canned diced roasted green chiles
- 1 quart green chile salsa (or substitute tomato salsa)
- 2 tablespoons chile powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano flakes
- 3 cups cooked pinto beans, drained
- 3 – 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 cups fresh cilantro, chopped
- Salt, pepper and Tabasco to taste
1. In a large stockpot over medium heat, add linguica and cook until lightly browned.
2. Add venison and brown evenly.
3. Add next 4 ingredients and cook for a few minutes.
4. Add diced tomato and next 5 ingredients and simmer until venison is tender. It will take 2 to 3 hours.
5. Add additional salsa or tomato if necessary to keep meat moist while cooking.
6. When meat is just tender, add beans, 2 tablespoons of the tomato paste and cilantro. Heat to warm beans. If you want to thicken the chili, add additional tomato paste as necessary.
7. Season with salt, pepper and Tabasco.