What else to do with small crappie other than frying and serving “fish & chips” style? Exactly. Pair with your favorite beer and have yourself a very merry fish fry. If you don’t have peanuts, use almonds or another nut in the house (just not your spouse).
- 7-10 crappie, cleaned and dressed with heads removed
- 1/2 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup dry roasted peanuts, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Peanut oil for frying
- Spicy tartar sauce
- 1/2 cup light mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish (or better yet… Wickle’s Hoagie Relish)
- 1 teaspoon spicy brown mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon creole seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- In a shallow bowl mix bread crumbs, cornmeal, Parmesan cheese, ground peanuts, salt, and pepper. Coat each fish with flour, then dip in buttermilk, then coat evenly with crumb mixture.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 – 2 inches of oil over medium high heat. Add fish and fry on both sides until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.