This recipe also works great with picked blue crab. If you’re out of crab, cooked flaky white-fleshed fish fillets work well, too! Just make sure that the crab meat has been patted dry with two-ply paper towels. If it’s too wet, it won’t hold together when cooked. Serve with flavored aioli, tartar sauce, clarified butter or cocktail sauce.
- 2 cups cooked Dungeness crab meat
- 2 tablespoons masa flour
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon Hi Mountain Italian Herb Seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon Hi Mountain Salmon Rub
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Dash Tabasco
- Fresh basil
- 1/4 cup Japanese breadcrumbs (or any breadcrumbs)
- Clarified butter or oil for cooking
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place crab meat in a medium bowl. Sprinkle masa flour over and toss to coat evenly. This will add flavor and enable the other ingredients to bind the cakes together better. Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Form into 8 cakes, 2 per person. Dust lightly with additional masa flour, corn starch or flour.
- Heat olive or vegetable oil in an oven-safe medium-hot skillet. Add crab cakes and brown evenly on both sides. Transfer the skillet to the preheated oven and continue cooking for 5 to 7 minutes.