Rob Fickling, host of Beyond the Divide on Sportsman Channel, shares his all-time favorite venison recipe.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour and 45 minutes
Total time: 2 hours and 5 minutes
- 1 pound cubed venison
- 2 cups port wine
- Garlic, crushed
- ½ cup walnuts
- 1 spoonful of blackberry jam
- 1 spoonful of Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon sage
- Red onion, sliced
- Beef stock
- Flour, for thickening
- 1 sheet of puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten
1. Place the cubed venison in a plastic bag, then add port wine; marinate overnight.
2. In a hot pan with melted butter, lightly brown the venison on all sides.
3. Transfer venison and port from marinade to a casserole dish. Add in garlic, walnuts, jam, mustard, a sprinkle of sage, and sliced red onions. Pour beef stock over venison mixture.
4. Cover and cook for approximately 1 ½ hours on 300°F.
5. Add flour to thicken, if needed. Cover with puff pastry, brush with beaten egg, and cook until pastry is golden brown.
6. Serve with mashed potatoes and fresh greens.