Sportsman Channel hosts Steven Rinella (MeatEater) and Scott Leysath (The Sporting Chef) are two, uniquely qualified outdoorsmen who pride themselves in harvesting wild game and creating culinary sustenance to be consumed and shared by friends and family.
After years of overstuffed domestic turkeys and average tasting hams, Rinella and Leysath think it’s time to explore alternative food choices for the holidays. Rinella and Leysath advocate the most important things about their alternative holiday fare should accomplish two things – provide a healthy choice and save time.
Wild Turkey, Apple and Gorgonzola Salad Recipe
Make good use of your wild turkey leftovers – toss the pulled meat from legs, thighs and carcasses into this delectable apple and Gorgonzola salad recipe.
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- 1 ½ teaspoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
Get the Recipe: Wild Turkey, Apple and Gorgonzola Salad Recipe
“Hunting in itself is challenging and exciting, but to me, providing your own food through hunting is just as fulfilling as the chase,” said Rinella.
“Respecting every animal I harvest is important to me, and a big part of that process is creating a meal I can enjoy and share with others.”
Seared Duck in Sweet Guinness Honey Sauce Recipe
Slices of seared duck breast are drizzled in a wonderful, sweet Guinness honey sauce.
- 2 mallard breasts, plucked
- 1 cup Guinness Stout Beer
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon fresh, chopped thyme
- 8 whole cloves
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 cup stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
Get the Recipe: Seared Duck in Sweet Guinness Honey Sauce Recipe
Venison Mincemeat Pie Recipe
A recipe for homemade mincemeat pie made with ground venison, fruit, spices and brandy.
- 2 cups ground cooked venison
- 3 cups chopped tart apples
- 1 cup chopped suet (can substitute pork back fat)
- ¾ cup seedless raisins
- ¾ cup currants
- ¾ to 1 cup stock
- ½ cup chopped dried apricots (optional)
- 4 tablespoons apple or beach plum jelly
- 2 tablespoons blackstrap molasses
- 1 ½ cups light brown sugar, tightly packed
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cloves
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg (or mace)
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- ¼ cup cider
- Brandy, to taste
- Bear fat pie crust
Get the Recipe: Venison Mincemeat Pie Recipe
“Cooking wild turkey might seem more complicated than putting a grocery story turkey into the oven, but it’s not,” said Leysath.
“Rather than dealing with a mess after a big meal, much of the work can be done a day or two ahead of time, leaving only the breast fillets to finish 20 minutes or so before dinner. Any possible shred of edible protein will be utilized.“
Wild Boar Sausage Stuffing Recipe
A flavorful stuffing recipe featuring ground wild boar sausage, cornbread croutons, vegetables and herbs.
- 1 pound ground wild boar sausage
- 1 ½ large onions, diced
- 2 small, trimmed, thinly-sliced leeks
- 3 stalks of celery, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- Salt and pepper
- 1 quart cornbread croutons
- 1 tablespoon fresh, minced sage leaves (or substitute ½ teaspoon dried rubbed sage)
- ¾ cup fresh chopped parsley
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
Get the Recipe: Wild Boar Sausage Stuffing Recipe
Stuffed Wild Turkey Breast Recipe
This recipe for stuffed wild turkey breast is even better when topped with gravy made from roasted wild turkey stock.
- 1 cup stuffing
- 4 wild turkey breast halves, boneless and butterflied (skin on or off)
- Salt and pepper
- Bacon strips (optional)
Get the Recipe: Stuffed Wild Turkey Breast Recipe
For 10 additional wild game alternative holiday recipes, visit the Game & Fish website.